Facial toner is the fourth step in your Korean skincare routine, right after your daily cleansing or weekly exfoliation. Its role is to hydrate your skin and prepare it for the products that follow.
It's quickly absorbed by the skin and, while you can certainly use a cotton pad to apply it, the traditional South Korean method is to gently pat it in with your fingertips. Be sure to check out our selection for your routine!
€5.00 - €67.00
What’s a facial toner?
A facial toner is a very light, typically watery product that's applied to the skin after the cleansing or exfoliating step. It's one of the most important steps in a Korean routine and no Korean skips it.
What's the role of a toner in a Korean facial routine? ?
You've probably asked yourself, "What exactly does a toner do?" or "How will my skin change if I start using a toner?" A toner essentially serves as the transition step between your cleansing routine and your treatment products. Among other benefits, it preps your skin for subsequent treatments. And, while it's often said that toners help stabilise your skin's pH levels, keep in mind that not all toners are designed to do this! Facial toners can have multiple benefits: some are formulated to soothe and calm the skin, others target acne breakouts, offer anti-aging benefits or even pigmentation issues. It's common for toners to contain AHA and BHA acids.
How do you use a toner? ?
Facial toners can be applied in a number of different ways. In Western countries, it's common to use a cotton pad soaked in the toner and swipe it over the face in upward motions. Kind of like one would with micellar water. In South Korea, it is common practice to apply toner directly with your hands. Simply pour a little Korean toner onto your fingers and lightly pat it into your skin to help the product penetrate more effectively. Our suggestion? Skip the cotton pad and go straight for the hands-on approach! Not only is this method gentler on your skin, it's also better for the environment. Plus, using a cotton pad usually means you'll need more product, which can be wasteful.
How can I find the best toner? ?
Do you need help finding the perfect toner for your skin? We’ve got you! Maybe you're looking for an astringent toner to reduce shine, or maybe you want to treat your pimples. If you're wondering which Korean toner is best for oily skin, you're going to love Aromatica's Tea Tree Balancing Toner. Do you prefer toners that are formulated for sensitive skin? Check out Klairs Supple Preparation Facial Toner: it's one of MiiN's bestsellers and has lots of great reviews. If you're looking for a toner for dry skin, try G9SKIN's White in Milk Toner. It'll be a glowing addition to your brightening routine.
What types of toners are there? ?
The water-like texture of toners makes them perfect for incorporating treatment ingredients, while you soothe and purify your skin. At MiiN, we offer an array of toners tailored for every skin type:
- Hydrating and soothing toners: Like Barr's bestselling Centella Calming Ampoule Toner.
- Purifying and sebum-regulating toners: Ideal for acne-prone and oily skin. A perfect example of a sebum-regulating toner is Aromatica's Tea Tree Balancing Toner.
- Toning pads: So convenient and easy to apply, you'll always take them with you when you travel. Our favourite? The Houttuynia Cordata Cotton Toner Pad from All Natural.
- Exfoliating toners: If your skin is irritated by physical scrubs, exfoliating toners are a great option for you. An excellent product for pimple-prone skin is the bestselling Aha/Bha Clarifying Treatment Toner from COSRX.
- Mist toner: Oh, what a misty treat! Perfect for a refreshing spritz, especially in the hot months or when your skin needs a little extra hydration. Our personal favourite? Benton's Snail Repair Intensive Toner.